A discussion of contemporary issues in media ethics, with olives and a twist. Made with only the freshest ingredients, shaken, stirred and poured over ice. I should also mention that I do like the odd, occasional martini. Bombay Sapphire gin and Lillet, dry and plenty of salty olives. Welcome to this cocktail of journalism and alcohol. A fine combination!

Tuesday, 17 April 2007

Still no confirmation of Alan Johnston's fate

There is still no confirmation of the fate of Alan Johnston despite Sunday's announcement by a previously unknown group that it had killed the British journalist.
The BBC continues to report on the situtation, saying his family is very worried by the lack of firm news. Journalists and supporters have rallied around the world calling for Alan's release. The BBC itself organised rallies across the UK

I can't help wondering why, with all the sophisticated surveillance technologies at their disposal why the Israeli secret service or the CIA, or MI5 have not been able to locate Alan or his kidnappers.

Why would an Islamic or Palestinian group want to kidnap a BBC journalist? I'm worried that this story doesn't make sense, but I have nothing to support my unease.

I'm going to keep looking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know gut feelings can be wrong, but I'm with you on this one. It feels wrong, but it's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but it would seem like any group is likely to do way more harm to their cause than good by this action.

But then I'm no expert in Middle East politics. That's why I read John Pilger and Robert Fisk.