A discussion of contemporary issues in media ethics, with olives and a twist. Made with only the freshest ingredients, shaken, stirred and poured over ice. I should also mention that I do like the odd, occasional martini. Bombay Sapphire gin and Lillet, dry and plenty of salty olives. Welcome to this cocktail of journalism and alcohol. A fine combination!

Friday, 27 April 2007

NRA hiding behind a conservative smokescreen

NRA-ILA :: In The News

I've been keeping an eye on the National Rifle Association's website in an attempt to find some argument from them in the wake of the Virginia Tech killings a week ago. So far nothing. I've mentioned this before and you can trackback to see the history of this post.
This evening I found this (link above) and a couple of others like it on the NRA "news" website. Basically an aggregation of the pro-gun defences and a series of attacks on everyone except the gun-owners.

It doesn't cut it. The NRA has not itself put out any kind of meaningful statement. And the one they did post, essentially saying "no comment" until all the "facts" are known about VT has been taken down.

Instead they're letting the right-wing columnists and bloggers do their dirty work. If I had a gun, I'd...
Well, in the words of the Barenaked Ladies, "there'd be no tomorrow".

I wonder if those bright sparks over at "shoot-em up central" have any idea how ironic and stupid this kind of promotion actually looks now.

Here's one of the NRA's "happy snap" images of what a well-armed college kid might want to carry to their next biology class.

No comments: