A discussion of contemporary issues in media ethics, with olives and a twist. Made with only the freshest ingredients, shaken, stirred and poured over ice. I should also mention that I do like the odd, occasional martini. Bombay Sapphire gin and Lillet, dry and plenty of salty olives. Welcome to this cocktail of journalism and alcohol. A fine combination!

Friday, 7 March 2008

Taste Test: The Journalist

perhaps we can all go get one after graduation next friday as we will be qualified journos!
- bex
Hey, bex, xclnt idea to go for a drink. In our graduation drag?

But, I would recommend caution when it comes to The Journalist, or at least finding a bar with a v.good cocktail mixologist. This is not a drink to let loose around amateurs.

I had a couple earlier this week at a local bar (no names coz I don't want to upset anyone at the Brooklyn) and to be honest, I was a tad disappointed.

When I say "tad" I been bloody disappointed. The colour was good; the ingredients were pretty much top shelf- Bombay, Cointreau and Martini vermouth(s)

[Is the plural of vermouth "vermine"?]
But the mixing was ordinary. The drink was warmish, while a great Martini is chilled beyond cool and I expected a great kick, but all I got was a sweetish, warm lolly-water drink. it lacked bite and even the addition of a triple-olive stick with a twist didn't seem to lift it beyond the "gin ordinaire".

I'm sure that Frank Moorhouse and his friend Voltz would strongly disapprove of The Journalist; it would rank alongside the other "fad" concoctions and "crazy drinks" that they both detest.

However, I am not easily deterred and I intend to persist until I can make this drink my own.

On a slighlty different note, I enjoyed Moorhouse' "memoir" Martini, and at the time I thought it was a reasonably true account of some aspects of his life. So I was very disappointed to come across this old bit of news while I was googling him today.

It seems that the "memoir" may actually be a work of fiction, in the news story linked above Moorhouse refers to himself (or is it a character in the "memoir") as "the demented narrator-author".

That's almost as disappointing as a lukewarm Journalist.

No comments: