A discussion of contemporary issues in media ethics, with olives and a twist. Made with only the freshest ingredients, shaken, stirred and poured over ice. I should also mention that I do like the odd, occasional martini. Bombay Sapphire gin and Lillet, dry and plenty of salty olives. Welcome to this cocktail of journalism and alcohol. A fine combination!

Tuesday, 4 March 2008

A "new" Martini: The Gin and the Journalist

One of the things I love about teaching is learning from my students. Hat tip to Quinn for telling me about The Journalist.

I suppose a purist would scoff, but it is a distant relative of the Martini - at least it's based on Gin and Vermouth.

It's a take on the whole dry/sweet thing and I must say I am constantly surprised at the number of bar staff who think it's OK to make a Martini with sweet vermouth - "Bianco".

Personally I find the combination distasteful, but rarely send it back. I much prefer the traditional dry Martini.

However, The Journalist is on my menu for the next Brooklyn visit.

Quinn brought me a photocopied page from his cocktail recipe book, here's the author's review of this unconventional Martini.

I've never been a supporter of unnecessarily complicated cocktails but this one seems to succeed against all the odds.

The Journalist defies convention [you're right about that mate] but is great as a palate-cleansing aperitif.

The sweet/dry theme is repeated twice, with the sweet and dry vermouth, then the triple sec and lemon juice.

Definitely a good pre-dinner drink to order at a bar, but if you're making it at home watch the measurements carefully, it's a drink that needs to be very finely balanced.


On the web you can find plenty of recipes for The Journalist, some use Curacao instead of Triple Sec. I'm sure you could substitute Vodka for Gin too. You know the rules "Choose your poison."

But what's with this glass, it just ain't right:
Journalist

I much prefer the conventional frosted Martini glass, so much more refined.

If you're willing to try The Journalist, send me a note, rate it.

Here's the recipe with Curacao (from Cocktail Database), use Triple Sec and/or Vodka if you like.

The Journalist
Stir in mixing glass with ice & strain
1 1/2 oz gin (4.5 cl, 3/8 gills)
1/4 oz sweet vermouth (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)
1/4 oz dry vermouth (6 dashes, 1/16 gills)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

perhaps we can all go get one after graduation next friday as we will be qualified journos!
- bex